Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

PROFIELMessages : 165
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title : Black Eagle
Place of birth : Uddevalla

› forging for dummies Empty
PostSubject: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptySun May 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I totally forgot why I’m here.

Even though there was plenty of wood available inside the village, it was some kind of ritual to collect some personally. His tutor always said it was the beginning of the process. Almost the most important part. To get a good forging fire going. It was as if only Svart could pick the right branches, as if he got an extra talent. Or that was what he was telling other people, to impress them, ofcourse. He also really enjoyed spending some time outside the village. The air was much fresher, more breathable.

It made him feel free again. Nobody was holding him captive though, he was staying in Kattegat out of free will. But still, he knew his adventure wasn’t over yet. He should be on the road, travelling, meeting new people. On the other hand, taking a rest and spending some time having fun rather than surviving, was allowed too. He didn’t want to go insane. Not yet. Softly whistling he continued with his task, unaware someone was following him quietly.

open thread

Last edited by Svart Rauðrsson on Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Björn Ragnarsson
Björn Ragnarsson
Huskarl

PROFIELMessages : 475
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title : Ironside
Place of birth : Kattegat

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 1:28 pm

There was a little layer of sweat on his forehead as Björn paced through the dense vegetation of the forest. The forest of Kattegat was full of provisions: excelent firewood, a little stream with fresh water and a lot of wildlife. The catch that he carried proved that. Over his wide shoulder and the bearskin he wore, there hung some rabbits, bungling on a string. There was still streaming fresh blood out of the wounds Björn’s spear made when it had pierced their body. Björn was focused on the ground he was stepping, he was nowhere near the stepped path that the normal people followed when they would go into the forest. When he heard some crackling sounds, he looked up from the ground and stood still. In the distance he saw some movement, a large form, lurking from between the trees. Maybe a deer. Or a boar. He took some betetr grip on his wooden spear and lowered himself as he sneaked closer.

When he was close enough, he finally was able to tell the human body apart from that from a deer. And when he looked closer, he even recognized the man. Not that he would know his name, but he knew which role he fulfilled in the Kingdom of his father. Björn lowered his spear and stepped from between the bushes, revealing himself. At first he was quiet, looked at the big viking male standing in front of him. ’The blacksmith.’ he finally said with a sour look on his face. ’The experienced one.’ He knew the man didn’t originate in Kattegat, and he didn’t knew him for a very long time. So he was cautious. While waiting for his reaction, he looked at what the man was doing. Collecting firewood apparently.
Back to top Go down
https://concretewalls.tumblr.com/

Svart Rauðrsson
Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Back in Uddevalla, he would never wander off on his own like this. He would at least take two other men with him, and they would never lose sight of the road. Right now, he was all alone. Armed though, but alone. But this forest was not threatening, at least not to him. After all his travels, he learned a lot about being alone in the wild. One of those lessons was to never drop your guard. Something he was most certainly doing right now. Damn.

When he heard some branches breaking right behind him, he felt a rush of adrenaline. His heartbeat was a lot faster. Alarmed by the sound, he turned around, while he put his hand on the hilt of his axe. It was a false alarm though. He stood face to face with none other than Björn Ironside. ’The blacksmith.’ he said, rather unfriendly. ’The experienced one.’ He continued, as if he was mocking him.

The tone of his voice didn’t keep him from cracking one of his typical smiles. He relaxed a bit and took his hand of his weapon. ”Björn Ironside”, He greeted back. ”You’re even more impressive from up close”, He said, jokingly but respectful. He then noticed the freshly caught prey, hanging from the man’s shoulders. ”You’re out hunting, I suppose?” He asked, maybe a bit jealous. Hunting could be exciting. More exciting than collecting firewood anyway.

Back to top Go down

Björn Ragnarsson
Björn Ragnarsson
Huskarl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 2:50 pm

The crackling sounds of the breaking twitches beneath his feet made the man look up. If he would have been be alert, he would’ve noticed him a lot earlier. But Björn was at least happy to see that he had quick reflexes. The viking immediately turned around and placed his hand on his axe, ready to attack or defense himself is needed. But Björn didn’t move a muscle. He looked at the axe he was carrying, a fine piece of art if you asked him. Björn looked the viking in the eyes and spoke to him, saw how he relaxed right in front of his eyes. ’Björn Ironside.’ he was greeted. ’You’re even more impressive from up close.’ Björn frowned his forehead a little and took a deep breath. He turned his head to the side and wiped his sweating forehead with a piece of the bearskin. For the rest he kept quiet, observed the stranger in front of him. ’You’re out hunting, I suppose.’ Björn looked at the fresh rabbit corpses that left little streams of blood all over his clothes. His hands were also covered in red, just as his face had some blood stains on it. But none of it was his own. The viking in front of him had used his title, a title he didn’t gain just like that. ’We all have our part to take care of.’ He clammed his spear a little firmer inside the palm of his hand. With his bright eyes he observed the man in front of him, obviously not trusting him. ’I didn’t knew collecting firewood was a part of your job.’ Björn took a step forward, pulled the rabits on his shoulder back in place. 'Or is that the way they do it where you come from?' The tone he spoke wasn't friendly, but not agressive either. He was cautious, not for himself, but for his village.
Back to top Go down

Svart Rauðrsson
Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 3:46 pm

He most certainly fucked up. Why did he always seem to make a wrong impression on the people that really mattered? Was he just too clumsy? No, he had in fact developed his social skills more during his travels. Maybe he was just a bit rusty. Or these Kattegat people were a whole new kind he had to get to know better before his charismatic influence was effective. He didn’t worry tho. Everything would fall right into place, he just had to be patient. In the meantime, he could try to earn some trust with the Ragnarssons.

Just proving he had no bad intentions, at all. After all they took him in. Maybe not because they liked him but because of his skills, but they didn’t send him away. And they didn’t kill him, which was also a positive thing. ’We all have our part to take care of.’ Björn replied, and he nodded in agreement. ’I didn’t knew collecting firewood was a part of your job.’ The man then asked. 'Or is that the way they do it where you come from?'

With a soft grin he nodded again. ”Yes, but I think a lot of blacksmiths around Scandinavia like to start their own forging fire in the morning. It’s a little ritual”, He explained. ”If you can’t collect your own materials, why bother being a blacksmith anyway”, He added. By the way he spoke, it was obvious how passionate he was about his profession.

Back to top Go down

Björn Ragnarsson
Björn Ragnarsson
Huskarl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Björn watched the man closely, observed the position he took place in. The little nod of approval, the soft smile on his face. He didn’t knew how to estimate the viking. There were so much question marks around him, that he couldn’t trust him, even though he didn’t look like a threat. So he started to ask questions, trying to reveal something about his past. ’Yes but I think a lot of blacksmiths around Scandinavia like to start their own forging fire in the morning. It’s a little ritual.’ Björn frowned his forehead even more, hearing the explanation. ’If you can’t collect your own materials, why bother being a blacksmith anyway’ The way the man spoke about..wood.. Björn couldn’t give it a place in his mind, how could someone be so passionate about working day in and out next to the heat of a fire? Sweating balls and burning fingers. ’Not the blacksmiths here in Kattegat.’ He said with a deep undertone in his voice. At the same time he dropped the rabbits in the high grass and lifted his spear a little. Björn poked the tip of the spear in the bark of the tree and leaned against it. He wiped his bloody hand to his pants and shortly looked around to the environment. 'They use the wood the farmers collected for them.' His long braid swept over his shoulder as he did so. ’So where did you learned your crafting skills, stranger.’ Björn looked back at the man in front of him, this time slightly more intimidating. He tilted his head sidewards. No time for riddles or stories about his passion for smiting. He wanted to know who he was, his name, his place of birth, and everything else Björn needed to know in order to trust him.
Back to top Go down

Svart Rauðrsson
Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:58 pm

During all his travels, he had met a lot of strange people. It was amazing how different the behaviour could be in communities that lived only a couple of days from each other. Kattegat was different too. In a way it was almost demotivating. While Björn was obviously judging each word that came out of his mouth and each movement he made, he was wondering if he would ever fit in. Probably not a 100 percent. He would adapt, but maybe he would always be an outsider to the people who lived here. He couldn’t let his mind think these negative thoughts. He wasn’t allowed to. He had to take this chance with both hands and make the best out of it, even if he was never wholeheartedly trusted by everyone.

In the meantime he just needed to stay honest and open. And deal with the lowkey insults Björn was giving him. ’Not the blacksmiths here in Kattegat.’ He said. 'They use the wood the farmers collected for them.' He continued, while cleaning his hands and eventually leaning on his spear. ”I bet the wood is great”, Svart replied, smiling politely. If the man wanted him to use the wood that was provided by the farmers, then he would simply adjust. ”I will try it tomorrow”, He therefore said. It wouldn’t hurt to try, would it?

’So where did you learned your crafting skills, stranger.’ Björn then said, it seemed like he was getting a little bit impatient. It also dawned on him that he probably didn’t even know his name. ”I was an apprentice of the man who now sits on the throne of Uddevalla, king Vidar Ingvarsson”, He said. He wasn’t afraid of his origin. He wasn’t ashamed to admit he left his place of birth either. ”Although I had a stable future back in Uddevalla, I couldn’t help but think about what was out there, you know? So when I finished my training, I hopped on the first ship and left. It’s been 8 years, I think. I travelled a lot and I ended up here”, He continued, sketching a short image of how his life had been before he showed up in Kattegat.

Back to top Go down

Björn Ragnarsson
Björn Ragnarsson
Huskarl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyTue May 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Insulting? Not really. Being protective over the Kingdom of his father? Definitely. Björn saw nothing wrong in what he was doing, and would never change the way he approached people because he was afraid on how they would respond. He was the heir of Kattegat, and one day the people would’ve to respect him as much as they respected Ragnar. Björn didn’t worry much about the inhabitants of Kattegat itself, but strangers, outsiders. They made him become even more careful and protective as he was otherwise. ’I bet the wood is great.’ the man admitted with the never ending smile on his face. The fact that he didn’t even once showed a sign of disrespectfulness made Björn go easier on him that he would do on a person that was laughing in his face. There weren’t much people who would dare to do that, and the few who did.. well they learned their lesson. ’I will try tomorrow.’ Björn clamped his jaws on each other and nodded softly.

After that, the man started to talk about who he was and where he came from. It was clearly visible that Björn was way more interested in those stories than he was in the stories about his wood and smiting. ’I was an apprentice of the man who now sits on the throne of Uddevalla, King Vidar Ingvarsson.’ The name of the dark king made Björn frown his forehead. It was a known kingdom by Vikings, although he had never seen a Viking that originated from there. The man spoke further, about his longing to travel and the way he ended up here. Björn rolled hisspear around his axis so the point disappeared a little inside the barn of the tree. ’I thought Uddevalla was very fond of keeping their crafting skills inside their own walls.’ Again he pointed his look towards the Blacksmith. ’How long are you planning on staying?’ Björn pulled his spear from the barn and did a step closer towards the man which he still didn’t knew the name of. He pointed his eyes on the axe that he was carrying -most likely his own work- and gestured that he had to hand it over. Björn had never seen Uddevalla craftsmanship from up close.
Back to top Go down

Svart Rauðrsson
Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyTue May 30, 2017 7:24 pm

In a way he could totally understand why Björn was talking to him like this. He didn’t expect anyone to just happily pretend he wasn’t an outsider. He didn’t even expect them to treat him like one of their own. Not yet. Eventually he wanted to earn their trust. He had a feeling like he would be around for a while. Maybe not forever, but he would for sure be loyal to Kattegat as long as he was allowed to stay. He might not be as good in fighting or raiding than someone who practised every day, but he sure had some tricks up his sleeve. Skills he had learned from other travellers, fighting techniques that were not usual, but maybe as effective as the more common known techniques.

But he was a blacksmith at first. Maybe one of the better apprentices of Uddevalla. ’I thought Uddevalla was very fond of keeping their crafting skills inside their own walls.’ The man observed, while looking at him with piercing eyes. "They are", Svart chuckled, a spark of mischief and adventure in his blue eyes. "I didn't say I got out with permission", He continued. He remembered it quite vividly, bribing a captain and sneaking out in the dead of night.

’How long are you planning on staying?’ Björn then asked, while taking another step closer towards him. ”As long as I’m allowed to”, He said calmly. His faith was in the hands of the power-holders and he was very much aware of that. When Björn hinted at his axe, he pulled it out of his belt in a motion that gave away how many times he had done that before, and turned the hilt towards the man. They had obvious traces of use, but they were well maintained and still of great quality.

Back to top Go down

Björn Ragnarsson
Björn Ragnarsson
Huskarl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyTue May 30, 2017 9:46 pm

He was being very patience with the man in front of him, something he was usually not good at. With people he knew better, he was often more direct. Sometimes it was a good thing, sometimes not. When he asked him a question, he got an honest answer. That was something he appreciated, even though there was a lot more meaning behind it for him. Björn frowned his forehead again, something he always did when he was focussing on something or listening carefully. ’I didn’t say I got out with permission.’ The way the man laughed about what he did, it made Björn think twice. He probably only thought about the roads and stories that lay in front of him when he left Uddevalla, but it looked like he didn’t thought about what he left behind. ’So you are speaking of betrayal.’ Björn said with an ice cold undertone in his voice. He stole the skill to forge weapons from King Vidar and was using it for his own profit.

So Björn asked how long he was planning to stay. He didn’t wanted untrustworthy people in the Kingdom of his father. The viking was one shackle of the chain, a chain that was not allowed to break. The last thing Björn wanted to do was disappoint his father. If he ever came back. ’As long as I’m allowed to.’ Björn shook his head and took a deep, slightly annoyed breath. He didn’t wanted to admit it, but he had to. ’You are lucky you are being useful here in Kattegat.’ While he spoke, he was handed over the axe. With big eyes he looked at the fine piece of craftwork, and realized that weapons like these could make a huge difference in battle. ’The loss of one is the victory of another.’ With those words he looked the viking straight into the eyes to make his words mean more. He wasn’t afraid to look others straight into the eyes. A glance could often say more than violence. ’We are watching you, stranger.’ Björn spoke for himself and his brothers. ’Don’t you dare to try to pull something on us like you did with Vidar. Or even the Gods won't be able to save you.’ With those words he turned around and threw the axe in the direction of the tree he had just leaned against. The blade sunk deep in the bark of the tree, that cracked softly under the power that was behind the throw. Björn bend over to pick up his catch, and looked over his shoulder one last time before he started to walk to the village.
Back to top Go down

Svart Rauðrsson
Svart Rauðrsson
Blacksmith

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies EmptyTue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

The second he joked about ‘escaping’ Uddevalla, he knew he had said something wrong. The attitude of the man changed again, his demeanour more threatening. ’So you are speaking of betrayal.’ He accused him. Svart understood where his judgement came from. "I didn't choose to betray. I chose to follow my heart", He defended himself softly. The son of Ragnar Lothbrok should be able to understand that. If he hadn’t followed his feelings, Kattegat wouldn’t be as rich and famous as it was now. His next reply caused a sigh. ’You are lucky you are being useful here in Kattegat.’ He said, while inspecting the axe he just handed over.

’The loss of one is the victory of another.’ He said, giving him another piercing, threatening look. For the first time he felt slightly uncomfortable. ’We are watching you, stranger.’ He continued, again putting emphasis on the ‘stranger’ part. ’Don’t you dare to try to pull something on us like you did with Vidar. Or even the Gods won't be able to save you.’ He threatened. At the same time he turned around and threw his axe into the bark of the nearest tree. With one last look over his shoulder the man disappeared between the trees.

Caught of guard, Svart stood still for a couple of minutes. Slowly he let his breath escape, he unconsciously held it during the last minute of the conversation. Eventually he walked over to the tree end inspected his axe for any damage. ”Look at me”, He said, changing the pitch of his voice so he would sound like a little child. ”I am Björn Ironside, firstborn son of Ragnar Lotbhrok”, He continued with a soft mocking tone. ”I can throw an axe at a tree hurr durr”, A little bit angry he gripped the hilt of his axe and pulled.

Maybe he underestimated the power behind the throw. He struggled to pull it out. With a groan he pulled again, now using his body weight. With a loud crack the bark let go of the axe and he fell onto the soft soil. With the axe in his hand he sighed again. The sound of a cat softly purring reached his ears. Behind him was his cat, staring from between some bushes. He reached out for it and petted him between his ears. ”The Gods will save me right, buddy?” He said quietly. After a moment he got up again, forgot about the firewood and started walking back to the village as well.

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

PostSubject: Re: › forging for dummies › forging for dummies Empty

Back to top Go down
› forging for dummies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ragnarok :: Scandinavia :: Kattegat :: Environs :: Forest-