PROFIELMessages : 47
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title : Venomous
Place of birth : Uddevalla

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 pm

A breath. [open] Giphy_10

Since Hilde arrived in Kattegat, her life was all about training.
In order to become a better woman and a better warrior, she spent the days fighting with other warriors or between the trees in the forest, training by herself.
She had established a specific objective in her life, she wanted to fulfill her destiny in the shortest amount of time possible and to do that, she needed to work as much as she could and even more than that.

But that day, she felt different.
She trained early in the morning, as usual; right after waking up, she walked up to an open space in the forest and trained there, but she wasn't feeling herself.
She soon abandoned the forest and searched for a quiet and relaxing place, for her to think and to sort out her feelings.

Without her actually noticing, Hilde found herself in front of the sea. The breeze was fresh and pierced through her nostrils, reaching her lungs, the sound of the waves calming into her ears.
She breathed deeply and took off her shoes, before sitting on the shore. The sand felt nicely cold against the skin of her feet and hands.
Eyes closed, another deep breath. Her thoughts went straight to Bryrja, the woman was the only person Hilde ever talked to, the only person she knew. She was doing this for her, because she knew Bryrja was watching her from Valhalla and she wanted her to be proud of the woman she was becoming.
Hilde didn't know how many days, weeks or even months passed since she decided to change her life, she only knew that since then, she closed herself up, like she was the only human being on the whole Earth. She never actually spoke to anyone if it wasn't about training or to answer someone else's questions, usually in a very cold and quick way.
Did she want to live like this? Probably not. But she didn't know any better. Or maybe she did know how to properly talk and enjoy life, but she actually did want to live isolated as she was.
At these conflicted thoughts, the girl sighed again, before embracing her legs and resting her chin on her knees, moving her sight to the horizon.
Back to top Go down
https://haukrhjarta.tumblr.com/

Thora Haraldsdóttir
Thora Haraldsdóttir
Shield maiden

PROFIELMessages : 150
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Thora's been training harder than ever, because throwing herself into training is easier than thinking about whatever is happening in her life. She isn't sure what it is, isn't sure she wants to know, and so she deals with it the best way she knows how: through fighting. Fighting is easier than thinking, is easier than feeling and hurting. When she's fighting or training, Thora is steady, calm, centered. She's where she's meant to be. But when she's still, she's full of doubt, haunted by a set of rough hands constantly trying to grab her, haunted by two pairs of nearly identical blue eyes: one laughing and one scowling. Swinging her sword is easier than dealing with any of that.

Come early afternoon, she's exhausted, her long blond hair soaked with sweat, and her muscles are screaming at her to stop. She obeys, knowing she's tired enough that she'll sleep dreamlessly tonight. She has some chores to take care of around her house anyway, and her weapons to inspect and clean, then an early dinner and she'll head to bed. Maybe she'll seek out Sassa, but she knows Sassa may be with her secret training partner, and so she doesn't want to show up at her mother's house if maybe Sassa has told her mother she's with Thora. It's probably better to wait for Sassa to come to her.

Thora's taking the long way home, walking down along the shoreline. It's one of her favorite places, and she needs the peace the sea offers. It's been a confusing couple of days. She sees the back of another woman and scowls for a moment, then thinks maybe there's something familiar about her. Hasn't she seen her on the training grounds? Thora tries to place her for a second then gives up, but can't simply walk past without introducing herself. There are so few shieldmaidens in Kattegat, she's intrigued by this one. She drops down into the sand beside the other, grinning widely and shaking her sweat-soaked braids over her shoulder. She knows the smell of sweat radiating off her may even be strong enough to overpower the fresh salt scent of the sea, but she doesn't care. "It may just be me, but I find fighting easier than thinking." She gestures to the girl's weapons, then to her own. "So if you ever get tired of thinking, come find me. My name is Thora."
Back to top Go down

Hilde Odinsdóttir
Hilde Odinsdóttir
Thegn

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 5:49 pm

A breath. [open] Giphy_13

A voice startled Hilde whom was so lost in her thoughts that hadn't yet realised that the sun was a few hours to set, to let the moon shine in its place.

The girl faced the direction from which she heard that nice voice talking to her. When she was finally able to identify the person whose voice belonged, she frowned a little bit. Hilde remembered seeing this girl somewhere in Kattegat, but of course, couldn't remember where.
After few moments, a little light turned on in the back of her brain and she realised that she could only be from the training grounds. After all, Hilde could only see and interact with other people when training.

The words of the girl in front of Hilde echoed through her ears and Hilde's reaction was immediate. The last thing she wanted was to reveal too much of herself to someone she just started talking to, so she just smiled politely, curling her lips and showing her perfect teeth and at the same time, a little laugh escaped from her throat.
"Thank you for your advice."
Hilde said before inhaling and standing up, while cleaning her clothes from the sand. She then turned completely to the girl standing beside her. Another smile flashed through her lips but couldn't reach her eyes.
"I'll probably come whenever I get the chance. I'm Hilde. Nice to meet you Thora."

Just then, she remembered that the girl in front of her was a shield maiden.
"It would be a huge honor to fight with you." Hilde added, knowing the differences between their ranks and wanting her to know she was disciplined and respectful.
Hilde coughed, a little embaressed and tried to change the subject of the conversation.
"Uhm, do you come here often?"
She pointed vaguely to the space around the two girls and followed her hand with her sight before bringing her eyes in Thora's ones again.

Last edited by Hilde Odinsdóttir on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Thora Haraldsdóttir
Thora Haraldsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptySun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Thora watched the girl with her eyebrows raised, good humor dancing in her bright green eyes. Thora is happy right now, tired and sweaty and happy, too weary for nagging thoughts to bother her. Mostly she had good days since coming to Kattegat; the only problem was the surly prince Ironside. It seemed he would continue to be a problem, too, but things seemed to be on their way to mending between them. She pushes those thoughts away, determined to ignore them, and wiped a strand of sweaty hair back from her face. She'd braided her hair back before leaving her house this morning, but her exertions had loosened it. She grinned at the small laugh that escaped the girl before her, and realized that this was a girl who probably already dealt with problems in the manner Thora had just described. Her advice was probably unnecessary.

She watched the smile flash across Hilde's face, saw the way it didn't reach her eyes, but that didn't bother her. Thora herself was that way sometimes. She was only just learning to be more open to people, Kattegat was a kinder place than where she'd grown up. She can practically see the girl before her realizing she's a shieldmaiden, and she just laughs. Thora doesn't care about her rank, all she cares about is having a place in the shield wall and a place to come home to. She has both of those things now, although admittedly she'd been frightened Bjorn wouldn't allow her a place in his shield wall. There's a part of her that still fears it, but she refuses to listen. They're learning, the two of them, to draw power from their pain, and it's a strange...connection they have. Thora does her best not to think of it most times, and now is certainly not the time for it.

"I come here on my way home from the training grounds sometimes. I love the sea. It reminds me of going raiding." The smile she gives her is a little feral, a little wild. Sometimes she longs only for the joy of battle, the thrill of watching enemies flee before her. The sea is the way to those faraway places, and the way home. The sea is peaceful when it wants to be, and powerful when it chooses to be. The sea is all that Thora admires: strength and grace and power. But she doesn't say any of that. "We'll have to spar sometime. I'm at the training grounds most days. They're still testing me a little, I think. When I'm not there, you can find me in the forest." She watches Hilde dusting sand from her clothing, but her eyes automatically go to inspect Hilde's weapons.
Back to top Go down

Hilde Odinsdóttir
Hilde Odinsdóttir
Thegn

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptySun Sep 17, 2017 10:29 pm

A breath. [open] Giphy_15

The eyes of the girl in front of Hilde sparkled with a strange light. Thora was probably remembering the battlefields, the raids, the thrill of being suspended between life and death, the adrenaline building up knowing you're fighting to stay alive. Hilde didn't know any of these emotions, she only heard stories but was never able to experience those feelings first-hand.
She could feel that Thora missed those sensations and felt a little bit envious towards the young shield maiden.

Hilde loved to train because she knew that was the right path to pursue if she wanted to be like her mother, but was tired of waiting. She was just tired of doing the same things all over again, knowing that if she was lucky enough, she would end up having some little scratches on her body.
That wasn't what she wanted, she wanted to fight a real fight. One of those fights that could bring her fame and glory, one of those fights her mother fought. She really wanted to make Bryrja, her mother, proud of her for achieving her goals.

The shield maiden then offered again to train with Hilde, and for another time, the girl smiled politely and nodded vigorously.
"I would be more than glad to train with you." The girl voiced again her total respect towards Thora just with that little phrase and with her expression.
The blond girl eyed something behind Hilde so she followed her gaze briefly. She was looking at Hilde's weapons layed on the ground where she left them.
Hilde frowned and went back to look at Thora's face, before asking.
"What is it about my weapons?" Her voice was calm and pure and with her forhead frowned like that, she flashed a childish look for a very brief moment.

Just then, Hilde realised that Thora probably had things to do and she was just keeping her busy without a reason.
"I really don't want to keep you here if you have things to do," The words left her mouth rolling out in a hurried way. "I'm sorry." She concluded right after calming herself a bit, with a softer and more gentle tone.

Last edited by Hilde Odinsdóttir on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Thora Haraldsdóttir
Thora Haraldsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm

She grinned at Hilde, glad to have another training partner. Thora loves to spar, loves to fight. She was born for the shield wall. And she'd been on a few raids and managed to stay alive, which she supposed made her qualified to help train the younger warriors. She was far from the most experienced, but she was a good fighter, quick and strong. She sort of enjoyed teaching the younger ones, too. She could remember how thrilled she'd been to being training when she was younger, the absolute awe she felt when a proven fighter trained her. To see that on the faces of younger warriors let Thora know that she'd accomplished her goals, that she'd been right about her purpose in life. She's happy that Hilde has agreed to train with her, and she gives her a genuine smile. "I'm glad, there aren't many female warriors in Kattegat. We have to fight a bit differently sometimes, just because we're smaller and faster. It's good to fight against and learn from other women, as well as the men. But I'm sure you knew that already."

Then she's looking at Hilde's weapons, just because she loves weapons, loves to see the different styles of different smiths. She loves to watch the way different people handle their weapons, because everyone has their own fighting style and their own preference for weapons, and the two are linked. You can learn a lot by seeing someone's weapons. Hilde is concerned when she asks about her weapons, and Thora is quick to answer, to reassure her nothing is wrong with them. "Oh, there's nothing wrong with them. I just like to see other people's weapons. Every one is a bit different."

She waves her hand carelessly when Hilde apologizes for keeping her here, snorting. "I really have nothing to do except clean my weapons tonight, you're not keeping me. But if you're busy, feel free to go." Thora shoots her another easy grin, absentmindedly rubbing a bruise on her arm.
Back to top Go down

Hilde Odinsdóttir
Hilde Odinsdóttir
Thegn

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 7:59 pm

A breath. [open] Giphy_18

"I'm sure you knew that already."
Hilde smiled widely at Thora's words and nodded vigorously. The only thing that could bring out her smile that way, was fight. The only moments in which the girl felt alive, were her training hours, but even just talking about fighting could make her happy. She never really talked to anyone except when training with someone else, just to give them directions and yet there she was, talking with a stranger about the beauty and the charm of fights and trainings.
She immediately understood that she could've found a different kind of relationship with Thora, maybe something close to friendship, but she didn't want to rush things. She didn't really know how things were supposed to be when dealing with others.

Thora's comment on weapons tickled Hilde's curiosity. She actually never thought about the differences between weapons, she always considered them objects ment to help her fulfilling her goal: killing. Hilde had brought her weapons from Uddevalla so there were substancial differences between hers and others'.
They were made in the Armory of Valhalla so they were supposed to be better than the ones made by smiths in Kattegat.

While the girl was still lost in her thoughts, Thora spoke again and told her she was free for the time being. This actually helped Hilde ease her worries and let her relax a little bit.
She went back to her weapons and grabbed her axe from the ground. She examinated it like it was the first time, even though she always had that weapon with her since Bryrja gave it to her as a gift. The cheek was carved with runes that Bryrja defined "lucky charms" and the handle was made from a pretty dark and strong piece of wood, which name Hilde didn't acknowledge. Hilde loved to fight with that axe, she always trained with that and it was almost part of her own arm. She smiled remebering the training sessions back when she was young, in Uddevalla, but soon shaked her head to avoid her thoughts to become too deep.
Her sight went from her axe to Thora's face before she started talking in a low voice. "I've never thought about how different weapons can be." She voiced her thoughts. "This axe... It has a special meaning to me." She continued, exposing a little bit of herself to the girl in front of her, then smiled to ease the atmosphere she created in the first place.

"You know, I've never been in a shield wall yet." She said, changing the subject to avoid questions that could've required her to be too honest and expose too much of her life. She was still scarred and didn't want to look weak, not in front of someone like Thora, who was supposed to trust her strenght in future battles.
"Yet... I feel like I belong in it." Her gaze became stronger, her determination was clear in her expression.

Last edited by Hilde Odinsdóttir on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Thora Haraldsdóttir
Thora Haraldsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Thora can only grin, recognizing something of a kindred spirit in Hilde; a fellow shieldmaiden. Thora knew she was born for the shield wall, loved everything to do with raiding. She loved the sea because it was the road to raids and the road home after, the place that led to all adventures. It was strong and wild, it bent its will to no man or woman. That was how Thora strove to live her life: unyielding, strong, by turns gentle and wild. She loved fighting, the rush of adrenaline and the smell of fear and death, the way she felt most alive when she was fighting for her life. She loved training, challenging people far stronger than her to learn from, and teaching the tricks she knew to the younger fighters. And yet, Thora knew not everything about fighting was easy or thrilling. She'd known fear, real fear, felt her shield shatter on her arm and watched her companions dying. Thora knew the thrill of the shield wall, but she also knew the terror. There was very little about fighting that could surprise her anymore.

"Ah well, you'll soon see. My weapons and I are from Uddevalla, so they're a bit different from most of the ones in Kattegat, and sometimes I fight a little differently, too." She listens, eying the ax curiously as Hilde speaks about it. She realizes with a start that she's seen a style just like that: Thora's own ax is eerily similar. The runes along the edge are different, and the handle's wood is a few shades lighter, but Hilde's ax is unmistakably from Uddevalla. Thora barks out a short, surprised laugh. "You're from Uddevalla, too. Or at least, your ax is." She grins, excited. "It's a beautiful weapon."

Thora's grin fades a bit, her right hand lowering to stroke the top of her sword in its sheath. If you look closely, if you compare the size of the sword to the size of the warrior who carries it, you can tell there's a story there. The sword is a touch too long for her, heavier than the sword one would expect a shieldmaiden to carry. Her sword is a man's sword--her father's, and it's part of the reason she's in Kattegat now. "Weapons often come to mean something to those who love them." She pauses, looking quickly out at the sea to compose herself. "They not only give you strength in battle, they can remind you of where you came from and the people who love you. They have a magic all their own, I think." Thora knows she probably sounds silly, but she doesn't care. She's sure that if anyone will understand, it's Hilde. The girl reminds her a bit of how she was, when she was younger.
Back to top Go down

Hilde Odinsdóttir
Hilde Odinsdóttir
Thegn

RPG SHEET
Viking profile

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm

A breath. [open] Giphy_10

Hilde's mouth reflected the expression on Thora's face. Her grin was contagious and somehow gave Hilde the courage she needed and the last confirmation: fighting was her destiny and she was glad that a shield maiden actually acknowledged her, even if just with a look on her face.
"... you'll soon see." She knew wars and fights weren't just adrenaline and excitement, and that she was probably going to fight against strong warriors, surely stronger than her, but she was confident in her capabilities and that she would likely overcome any difficult situation, especially with someone like Thora fighting by her side. For the first time, Hilde really hoped to bond with someone and thanked again Bryrja for letting her grow up with her tales of fights, because everything that now was Hilde's life, started with those beautiful stories.

"My weapons and I are from Uddevalla..." Hilde didn't even listen to the rest of her sentence and almost froze on the spot. She moved to Kattegat looking for a new chance and a new place were no one knew her and now she was there, face to face with another girl that was in the same situation she was.
The girl attention was caught by Thora's next words: "You're from Uddevalla, too. Or at least, your ax is." What was she supposed to say to that? She nodded and curved her lips in an elusive smile hoping that Thora could take as an authentic one. Hilde didn't know if she was ready to answer questions about her life before Kattegat. She was scarred and didn't want to look like it in front of a probable friend and companion. Luckily, Thora focused her attention on Hilde's weapon and not on the girl herself. "Thank you." Was the only thing Hilde was able to say in response to the girl's comment on her axe, in a low voice.

Thora started talking again, then moved her gaze to the sea and Hilde unconsciously followed the girl's movements and found herself listening to Thora's words while looking towards the horizon. She listened carefully to what the girl was saying, feeling like she was voicing her own thoughts. Just when Thora stopped talking, Hilde turned her head to the side, to face Thora again and smiled with a nostalgic look on her face.
The wind unexpectedly blew strongly and Hilde realised that tears were running down through her face. She wiped them away with the back of her hands almost immediately and sniffed before realising she wasn't supposed to make any noise. The girl froze and looked up at Thora, before turning around and grabbing her shield and her boots that were still on the sand. She cleared her throat while picking up her things. "I think... I think I should go." She said looking a bit confused while trying to hide the fact that she was crying.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

A breath. [open] Empty
PostSubject: Re: A breath. [open] A breath. [open] Empty

Back to top Go down
A breath. [open]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1