Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

PROFIELMessages : 24
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :
Place of birth : Skagen

I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] Empty
PostSubject: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Tóra was sitting at home, sitting at the kitchen table with a few plants spread out around her. She's running her finger over each of them in turn, reciting their names and uses and where they can be found, when there's a knock at the door. It startles her out of her reverie, and she's just about to get up when she hears Sofie answering it. She sits back down into her chair, going back to her studying, when she hears something that makes her blood run cold. A voice that she doesn't recognize, but its flat and emotionless, and telling Sofie that Halfdan the Black wants to see her. She immediately creeps toward the door on quiet feet, peeking around the corner to see who was there, just in time to hear the man tell Sofie to get herself together because she was coming with him. Tóra takes note of the man, his long brown hair and the sword strapped across his back, fixing his appearance in her mind's eye so she can describe him to Freyja. She watches as Sofie follows the man, and gives them a full minute before she slips out the back door of the house, thanking the gods that her father was a smart enough man to give their house two exits.

Her heart is pounding in her chest, heavy with panic, and she immediately takes off in a swift run toward the docks. Freyja will know what to do. Tóra is reassured by the small knife bouncing against her hip and by the knowledge that she could maybe stab a man in the kidney if it comes down to it. Hopefully she won't have to, though. Tóra may not be very strong, but she's light and quick and sort of enjoys running, so she makes it to the docks without having to stop and walk. Immediately she spots the bright gold of Freyja's hair against the iron-gray of the sea and the dull brown of the boats, and she nearly barrels into her because she's going too quickly to stop. She reaches out her hands and grasps Freyja's shoulders, her grip tight and her blue eyes wide and afraid. She's panting but she gets the words out immediately despite the burning in her lungs. "Sofie. A man came and took her to Halfdan. I don't know why and I don't know who he was, but he had a brown hair and a sword with an orange stone on the handle. He didn't say why, they left just a few minutes ago."

She realizes she's still gripping Freyja's shoulders and she lets go, stepping back to give her sister time to process what she's just said. Her breathing is starting to even out, and she's starting to wonder what they're going to do. The things she's heard about Halfdan don't make her feel good about the fact that Sofie is probably in his presence now, and although the man that came to get her didn't look unfriendly, if he served Halfdan he probably wasn't very nice. She did have some hope, though. She knew Freyja was friends with a Viking that Halfdan respected from her days training as a shield maiden, so maybe he could do something to help them help Sofie.
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

PROFIELMessages : 136
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 am

Freyja was looking forward to going home soon. She’d stayed at the docks a little longer than she’d originally anticipated, taking her time now that she was showing Aleinn how to carve. Freyja loved to carve, and had deliberately pushed off showing him this part because it wasn’t really necessary to shipbuilding, and she knew she’d want to spend a good deal of time on it. So after helping him get started, she’d taken a few steps back to let him have at it on his own without her hovering too much.

Before she realized what was happening, Tóra was practically running into her, grabbing her shoulders to steady herself, and Freyja searched her sister’s face, trying to figure out what was going on. She looked worried, scared even. She was breathing hard, clearly she’d run there and Freyja was getting nervous. Before she could ask what was going on, her sister started talking.

After listening to what she had to say, Freyja thought she was going to be sick. The man Tóra was describing was Haskell, and if he was coming to their house to collect Sofie to speak to Halfdan… something bad had happened, and something worse was probably about to happen, and she had no idea what to do about it.

That’s Haskell, he- he won’t let anything happen to her,” she started, hoping she was right. How much could he really do? But she couldn’t worry about that right now. Her fists were clenched, her fingernails digging into her palms deeply, but she barely noticed as she tried her hardest to remain calm and just think. Her stomach was still rolling but if she did throw up, she needed to at least wait until Tóra couldn’t see her. That would be a far from reassuring reaction for her little sister to witness.

Okay,” she began, trying to gather her thoughts, “Aleinn, I’m leaving, you can go home if you like.” She turned back to Tóra. “Let’s go.” She started back in the direction of the village, her mind racing a mile a minute, all the while assuming Tóra would keep up with her. "You have no idea what Sofie could be in trouble for? She didn't tell you anything?" What could she possibly have done to get Halfdan's attention?
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Tóra is immediately reassured by Freyja, by her easy confidence that Haskell won't let anything happen to Sofie. She knows the name even though she doesn't know the man. She knows he's friends with Freyja, and that he's the radningar and he trains all the younger warriors. He knows Sofie then, too, and hopefully she hasn't pranked him lately, because if Sofie is on her way Halfdan, she needs all the friends she can get. Her breathing is starting to steady now that she's no longer running, and she knows she did the right thing by coming to find Freyja immediately. Her bright eyes flick over to Freyja's apprentice, and with a shock she notes that this is Henrik's brother. She files that away to process later, right now she has bigger problems to face.

She takes off in a light jog after Freyja, heading back in the direction she just came from, but she guesses they probably aren't going home. What would be the point? The problem isn't at home, the problem is in the great hall and his name is Halfdan. At her sister's question, she thinks as she jogs, sorting back through the conversations she's had with Sofie, trying to remember any useful bits from the conversation she'd overheard between her sister and Haskell. After a few moments of silence, she finally shakes her head. "I have no idea, she doesn't talk to me about stuff like that. Maybe Visna will know?"

Cold fear is running its fingers up and down her spine, but she's doing her best not to give in to it. She's spent her whole life being treated like a baby, and she's ready to prove to her sisters that she's as strong as they are. She gives little outward indication of her fear, other than her clammy hands and too-wide eyes. She can't help Sofie if she gives in to panic.
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Her mind was still racing as Freyja and Tóra headed back into the village. Whatever Sofie had gotten up to this time, she was in way over her head, and Freyja knew she wouldn’t be able to just fix it for her. Which was incredibly frustrating for the shipbuilder. She didn’t like the idea that someone could pose a risk to her family and she couldn’t just deal with it for them. But when the risk was their earl, her hands were definitely tied.

Tóra was right there with her and Freyja was trying to figure out what to do about that as well. There was no way she was letting Tóra follow her to… wherever she was headed. It could mean trouble and she wasn’t about to let any of her other sisters get involved right now. When her sister answered her, saying Sofie hadn’t said anything and suggested Visna might know something, Freyja wasn’t too sure about that. If anyone knew what Sofie was getting up to, Freyja was confident it would be Tóra. She didn’t exactly share her pranks but Freyja knew Tóra occasionally helped her out with them.

I think you should go to Mother’s shop. Then the three of you should go to Johan’s. If you can find Rúna on your way there, tell her to go with you but don’t go looking for her,” Freyja told her, and simply hoped wherever Rúna was, she was far away from whatever was going on with Sofie. Rúna could look after herself, so she wasn’t as worried about her as she was Tóra and Visna. “No one should bother any of you if you’re with him,” she added. He was a viking and while it was no secret he was marrying their mother, Freyja assumed if anyone went looking for her family, it would take a little while for them to think of him.

Stopping, she turned to Tóra. “You should do that now. I don’t want you involved in whatever’s going on with Sofie.” Freyja got the feeling Tóra wasn’t going to appreciate being sidelined like that, but she wasn’t exactly concerned with anyone’s feelings right now.

She considered running by Hakon’s shop for a moment, less for backup and more for a weapon to borrow, as she only had the knife he’d given her on her, but running into the great hall armed wouldn’t be a very intelligent plan. She still didn’t have a plan, but she knew that would not be the one to go with. She really hated feeling like this.
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Tóra isn't surprised when Freyja suggests she go find Visna and their mother and head to Johan's, but it definitely wasn't something she was hoping for. She knew Freyja wanted to keep them all safe and that the best way to do that was to get them somewhere out of the way, somewhere people wouldn't immediately think to look for them, and somewhere that had a person who could protect them. Johan's house met all of those criteria, but still Tóra didn't like it, and she shakes her head immediately. "No. Wherever you're going, you can't go there alone. And don't say you won't be alone because Sofie will be there, right now, being with Sofie is worse than being alone." There's a stubborn set to her jaw, but when Freyja speaks again she knows it's a fight she's going to lose.

She looks up at her sister anyway, her blue eyes hard and certain. "Who else do you want me to send to you? I won't go because I won't be any good if it comes to a fight. I can send someone to back you up, though. Johan? Hakon? Rúna?" She shakes her head again, her blue eyes hard as they survey her sister. "You can't go alone."
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm

While Freyja had known Tóra wouldn’t like being told to go home and wait while she tried to figure out what was going on, she hadn’t actually expected her to tell her no. She actually stopped to turn to her sister with an eyebrow raised. She had a very good reason for wanting Tóra to go and find Visna and their mother, as far as she was concerned, and couldn’t be worrying about her while she was busy finding out what was going on with Sofie. And thought Tóra’s logic was sound, especially the part about Sofie, Freyja knew taking her youngest sister wasn’t the sort of back up she was going to need right now.

Apparently Tóra was on the same page, though, and Freyja was thankful she wouldn’t have to argue with her right now. “No, Johan can’t be keeping an eye on you if he’s helping me, and I’d rather keep Rúna out of it, if possible.” She thought about the offer to get Hakon for her, but what if they were overreacting? What if whatever had happened with Sofie wasn’t really that big of a deal? She didn’t want to interrupt him just because Sofie had gotten into a bit of trouble. While she stood there trying to convince herself Sofie wasn’t really in that much trouble, she knew immediately that that wasn’t going to be accurate.

No, I’ll be fine. I’m not going to storm the great hall or anything. I’ll just wait outside till Haskell and Sofie come out and find out what happened. Which could be nothing.” She already knew it wasn’t nothing but she was trying to convince both Tóra and herself that this might all be a very minor thing, and while it wasn’t helping to calm her at all, maybe it would help Tóra. And she would most certainly storm the great hall if she got a glimpse of something going on with her sister, and really she just didn’t want anyone else getting into trouble for standing with her. “You should go, and tell them what’s going on, and go to Johan’s, and I will go wait for Haskell and Sofie.” It all sounded perfectly calm and logical, which did not reflect the thoughts running through her head in any way.
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] EmptyTue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 pm

It isn't in Tóra's nature to argue with Freyja, and when she presents a plan that sounds perfectly logical, Tóra is immediately calmed before she starts thinking too much. The problem is, though, that she can see the flaw in Freyja's plan. She knows in her bones that whatever is happening with Sofie isn't simply nothing. She knows it's something bad. She saw the man who came to collect her sister, heard the dead tone in his voice, and the memory of it sends chills down her back. But she trusts Freyja, and she trusts that unlike Sofie, Freyja isn't going to do something stupid. She knows Freyja will probably be alright, but she also knows that Freyja will, in fact, storm the great hall if Sofie is in grave danger.

And she hates the thought of Freyja facing that alone, but she knows that right now what her sister needs isn't someone to argue with her. What she needs is someone to keep the others safe so she can focus on the problem at hand, and at least Tóra can do that for her. She can't help her in a fight and she doesn't want help, so the most Tóra can do is keep her sisters and their mother contained to Johan's house, where they have someone to protect them. The look she gives her sister makes it clear that she doesn't like or agree with the plan, but that she trusts Freyja anyway. "Fine. I'll go get Mother and Visna and we'll go to Johan's." She wants to glare at her sister, to make the extent of her discomfort with this plan clear, but she can't. Instead she only grabs Freyja's shoulder and gives it a quick squeeze. "Be careful." She would tell her to be safe, but how safe would she really be around Halfdan? She gives her sister one last glance before taking off running in the direction of their mother's shop.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

PostSubject: Re: I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja] Empty

Back to top Go down
I was lightning before the thunder [Freyja]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1