Rigas Fenarifksson
Earl

PROFIELMessages : 55
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :
Place of birth : Skagerrak

Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Empty
PostSubject: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

It was a warm day with thee sun being high in the sky, warming the environment. In the village it was crowded for everyone was working and children were playing. The forest was different. It was quiet. So quiet you could hear the wind going through the leaves and all the birds singing their different songs. Rigas had always liked the nature, when he was younger he had spend a lot of time there. You could say he knew every rock and every tree. He definitely knew his way around, it could come in handy. Especially that day. He was about to take his son out for some hunting lesson.

At the edge of the forest he waited. Rigas had two bows with him, arrows but also a spear. Freyr could choose what he want or bring his own gear. While he waited and sat down on the root of a tree. He took one of the two bows and just looked at it, letting his fingers go over the texture of the wood and the small carvings of animals, humans and other things. It was the first good bow he had made himself so he valued the weapon. It had provided his family with lots of food.
When Rigas heard footsteps coming his way he looked up immediately. Was it his son? They would meet early afternoon, when the sun was in the south west. He stood up again, taking both bows in one hand and the spear in the other one. Being earl, he had little spare time he could spent with his family, so he was looking forward to it. Rigas enjoined every minute he could spent with his family.  ’Freyr?’ Rigas asked, letting the other person know where he was. There was always a chance it was someone else, but that chance was small. It wasn’t the first time they were meeting at that spot.

First post for Freyr

Last edited by Rigas Fenarifksson on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

PROFIELMessages : 93
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 pm

when hell seems one step closer than heaven

Having duties without being allowed to have some free time, was almost unbearable for any person. That’s why his father had asked him to go hunting later that afternoon. He could barely focus on his training because he was looking forward to spending some quality time in the forest. Luckily his mentor knew some tricks to keep his attention on the exercises. After a few more series of different striking moves, he finally let the young boy go. He thanked the viking for his patience and ran off to their regular meeting spot.

In his hurry he forgot to take a bow with him. When he arrived at the edge of the forest, he saw his father got him covered. He also noticed how his father had no idea he was already present. A little plan came to his mind, and he tried to sneak up on the man. He took every opportunity to practise his new skills.  ’Freyr?’ The earl called out when he eventually heard he was not alone anymore. The boy stood up and walked out of the bushes with a big smile on his face. ”I came closer than last time”, He said, a little bit proud of himself.

what is left but war?

Back to top Go down

Rigas Fenarifksson
Rigas Fenarifksson
Earl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 am

The wait didn’t take long. After some minutes Rigas could hear the soft footsteps coming his way.  He was sure it was his son, but he wanted to be sure. There were enough people who didn’t like him. That wanted his spot at the top. Like expected it was his son that came out of the bushes. He looked pleased with what he’d done.

One of the corners of his mouth curled up in a smile as he heard the words of his son. ’Did you now?’ He would always be proud of his son, whatever he would do. With the bow in his hand he approached, handed it over to him. ’You’ll be needing this,’ Rigas said. It was the bow that was once his, that he gave to Freyr. ’Unless you can capture one with your bare hands?’ He raised his eyebrows a little. Rigas would love to see him try, even though he was only mocking him a little.
The man decided to turn around and started walking deeper in the forest. ’Let's go,’ he said with a small signal from his head. They could stay there for hours, just talking, but it was a shame that Rigas didn’t had hours. He liked his job, but he had a certain duty to fulfill and that duty could call for him every moment. Rigas looked over his shoulder towards his son and so he could catch up.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySun Jun 04, 2017 1:21 pm

The little challenge he set for himself had become some kind of ritual. Every time he tried to improve himself. He knew how sharp the senses of his father were, and how he seemed to have a sort of internal warning system when there was something off. Freyr suspected his father was born with it and it had developed over the years. Being in a battle, with all kinds of noises going on, it was an advantage to have such a strong gut feeling. Maybe he had it in him as well, but it hadn’t quite been trained yet. His sneaking skills were though, and it had paid off. He had come closer than the last time, something he remarked with a little bit of pride in his voice.

’Did you now?’ His father said with a smile, and he could see he was proud as well. ’You’ll be needing this,’ He continued, while coming closer and handing him one of the bows. Freyr looked at it in awe. He recognised the bow as being Rigas’ first one. ’Unless you can capture one with your bare hands?’ The man then joked, which made him chuckle. ”I’d try it even if it was solely for your entertainment”, He replied amused.

’Let's go,’ Rigas then said, turning around while he was testing the tension on the tendon. Soon he followed the earl, holding the bow loosely in his hand. They had to find tracks of an animal first before they could start shooting. ”What are we hunting for today?” He asked, lowering his voice so he wouldn’t scare off potential prey.

what is left but war?

Back to top Go down

Rigas Fenarifksson
Rigas Fenarifksson
Earl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 4:59 pm

While they walked through the forest, Rigas was carefull with the placing of his feet. It would be a shame to scare all the animals before they’d seen them.  He looked amused to Freyr. He made as little sound as he could, while still talking with Freyr. Rigas was really enjoying the time they were having. And the weather was in their favor. Ir didn't look like it would rain that day.
’In that case I’ll love to see you try.’ Wrestling with a deer was but the easy part. First you need to get close enough without the deer noticing you. Only then you could capture it. If his son could do something like that, he was truly a remarkable hunter. ’But I fear that you’ll expect me to do the same then.’ A smile curled up his face.

His son asked what they were hunting that day. ’Whatever we can find, deer, rabbit, squirrel,’ Rigas answered. He wanted to let his son do most of the work, for he still had to learn. It wasn’t like the man was in the forest for the hunt, to take food home, but for the time he got to spend with Freyr. But besides that,
in the village they could use everything they would find. ’Tell me Freyr, where do we go from here?’ He gave him the chance to find tracks himself. ’What can you see?’ Rigas took a few steps back, giving his son a good view.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Catching prey without any weapons was quite the impossible task for a young hunter like Freyr. He could read tracks and keep himself out of sight, but that was it. He had to take down his prey from a distance, preferably with bow and arrow. He sure wanted to try, but he knew already he would probably scare off his target before he could reach it. ’In that case I’ll love to see you try.’ The earl replied to his words. ’But I fear that you’ll expect me to do the same then.’ He continued, which made him smile amused. ”I’d expect you to show me how it’s done, you know, setting an example”, He said, seemingly innocent. ”So you’d have to go first”, He then grinned. How the tables had turned.

Freyr asked what they were hunting for, so he could start looking for tracks. ’Whatever we can find, deer, rabbit, squirrel,’ Rigas replied, and he nodded. He knew this was more of a training for him than an actual hunt, but he took it as serious as he would’ve if the village was really in need of food. ’Tell me Freyr, where do we go from here?’ His father asked, drawing his attention. ’What can you see?’ He stepped aside and the boy made his way through some bushes.

His eyes traced the earth, which was dry, so finding tracks would be hard today. He bent through his knees and focussed on a vague print of what appeared to be a hoof. ”I think these are deer tracks, but I’m not sure”, He said, doubting himself. Then he heard something more interesting. ”I can hear water though. Maybe we could take a look there?” He proposed. If there was water, then maybe there were animals that came to drink, and they would’ve left more clear prints in the mud.

what is left but war?

Back to top Go down

Rigas Fenarifksson
Rigas Fenarifksson
Earl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm

The hunting trip that they were on was a training, but Rigas didn’t want it to be only that. He wanted to spend time with his son. ’I think I’m going to pass, maybe some other time,’ he said with a grin on his face. ’Tell me, what have you done today?’ he then asked. Most of the time he didn’t knew what his son was up to. Freyr did spend a lot of time at the stables with some stable boy. Rigas didn’t knew how he was called, though he had heard the name many times. He wasn’t always to sure what to think of it. It wasn’t that bad, but Freyr had to be prepared for when he was going to be earl. Rigas looked to his side, interested in what his son had to tell him.

As far as the training part goes, he let Freyr find the right tracks. It didn’t matter what he would find, as long as it was something. If he needed it, he would help him, but it was better if he did it all by himself. He was old enough for that. The boy noticed some deer tracks and not long after the sound of water. He was definitely not stupid. ’Very good my son,’ he said to Freyr, grabbing his shoulder for a moment so he could pull him closer for a few seconds. After that he followed the sound of water and his own memory. He knew where it was and it was not uncommon for animals to be there.
Rigas already made his bow ready for when they would see some kind of life.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 pm

In all honesty he sure wanted to see his father try to hunt without any weapons. A big part of him believed the earl could actually pull something like that off. In his eyes both of his parents were blessed by the Gods and had received gifts that made them stronger, smarter and faster than any other human being. If there was anyone in Scandinavia that could catch a prey with his bare hands, it would be Rigas Fenarifksson. ’I think I’m going to pass, maybe some other time,’ His father replied to his little challenge. The boy nodded and couldn't keep himself from laughing softly. ’Tell me, what have you done today?’ The earl then asked. "Eh, let's see. I have learned and practised some new attacking techniques", He replied. "And this morning I went to see the horses", He then smiled, he knew damn well that was probably something anyone could have guessed, since it was no secret how often he visited the stables.

Apart from having fun he also had a test to fulfil. He dropped to one knee and inspected the prints. Then he realised he heard streaming water, and often there were animals that had their regular drinking spots. When he shared this information with his father, the man seemed to lighten up a bit. ’Very good my son,’ He said, shaking the boy back and forth while he was chuckling softly. ”I have learned from the best”, He simply replied, still smiling because he enjoyed the moment so much. Then he followed his father towards the water, also pulling out an arrow from his quiver and putting it on the string. He did not put tension on the string yet, but now it was almost ready to shoot. When they arrived at the scene, there were no animals in sight yet. Should they wait or go closer to look for tracks? He decided to wait on what his father would do, just to be sure.

what is left but war?

Back to top Go down

Rigas Fenarifksson
Rigas Fenarifksson
Earl

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm

To start a conversation he asked what Freyr had done that day and he listened to every word he said. As he had predicted the boy had visited the horses before his training. ’If there is time, you could give me a demonstration of the things you’ve learned,’ he said, showing interest in his life.  

Rigas couldn’t help but smile when Freyr said he learned from the best. It was just a nice thing to hear from your own flesh and blood. ’And one day you will be the best,’ he told his son. Rigas was convinced that Freyr would be a great leader one day, the boy showed a lot of potential. That didn’t mean he was perfect, he still needed to learn a lot of things, but that would come when he grew older. When he knew more about life and how things could go. ’Maybe you should join me, next time I’m going on a raid. You are old enough to see how things go, you would learn a lot of it.’ Rigas looked to his side where Freyr was walking. There was a lot that could go wrong of course, but Freyr was ready. Or so he thought.
Meanwhile Rigas followed him towards the water, but there were no animals in sight. He didn’t immediately walked to the water, but he waited so he could listen to the sounds around him. If there was an animal around, big enough to make sound, he would hear. But there was nothing and while they had waited for a few seconds, nothing changed. So Rigas gave a small gesture with his head, meaning that they should take a look up close for tracks.

Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. EmptySun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 pm

The progress he made, was slow but steadily. Day by day he noticed how he got stronger, faster, smarter. It motivated him to work even harder, so he could surprise his parents with his new skills when they would eventually check up on his training. ’If there is time, you could give me a demonstration of the things you’ve learned,’ Rigas said, as if he could read his mind. The boy nodded enthusiastically. ”Whenever you want”, He said with a confident smile. He felt like he was ready for his judgement, because he knew he would give him some things to work on and improve even more.

’And one day you will be the best,’ His father said, and he felt a wave of warmth going through his chest. He didn’t want anything else than to be like his father. ’Maybe you should join me, next time I’m going on a raid. You are old enough to see how things go, you would learn a lot of it.’ The earl then proposed, and Freyr looked at him in surprise. ”You think I’m ready?” He asked, just to be sure. ”Does mother know about your plans”, He then said, laughing softly. Even though both his parents loved him equally, his mother sure was the more worried and overprotective type.

When they arrived at the river, he waited for a short moment to see what his father would do. He didn’t want to make mistakes and therefore relied on the guidance of the earl. He made a small gesture, and Freyr walked closer to the water, as quiet as possible. When he arrived, he saw more tracks than before, some really recent. He pointed at them with the tip of the arrow. ”Rabbit? Or hare?” He whispered softly, while looking at his father. He then followed the tracks with his eyes. ”It went that way, not that long ago”, He continued, his voice trembling with excitement and adrenaline.

what is left but war?

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

PostSubject: Re: Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Closed - Going on a hunting trip. Empty

Back to top Go down
Closed - Going on a hunting trip.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1