Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

PROFIELMessages : 136
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :
Place of birth : Skagen

Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Empty
PostSubject: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 5:19 am

Freyja had decided to take a day off for once. Unfortunately, she’d slept in later than she’d intended, and by the time she got up for the day, Tóra was the only one left at home. So her plans for a grand family outing were quickly dashed, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t have a grand outing with Tóra! She hadn’t spent very much time alone with her youngest sister recently, which she obviously regretted, and grinned as she approached the blonde, tugging playfully on one of her long golden curls.

Do you have plans for today?” she inquired, picking up an empty basket from a shelf to fill up with some bread and fruit. They could grab some fish in the market on their way out, if her sister wanted to spend the morning together.

I thought I might head to the docks,” she started, not immediately realizing the irony of taking the day ‘off’ and returning to the one place she spent most of her time. She also didn’t stop to think that for Tóra, this would be nothing unusual for Freyja. She spent most of her days at the docks. After she wrapped the food up in a cloth and placed in the basket, it finally clicked and Freyja started laughing, turning to look at the fifteen year old. “I meant, I want to spend the day at the beach, maybe go for a swim or a walk or something. Do you want to join me?

It would give the pair of them a chance to catch up. Freyja was determined to slow down a bit, and enjoy herself more, spend more time with her family and the few friends she’d managed to hang onto. This seemed like a good place to start.
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

PROFIELMessages : 24
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 am

Tora was young enough that she didn’t have a job yet, but old enough that she had begun to think about how she wanted to make a living. One of her options, although she hadn’t spoken of it yet, was to apprentice to her older sister Freyja, or to her mother and Visna. She didn’t much like the idea of training to become a shield maiden like Sofie. She loved the ocean, and didn’t want to be stuck in the dress shop all day. She was glad that Freyja was taking the day off from work. She laughed, though, when freyja said she wanted to go down to the docks, and raised her eyebrows at her sister. ”Freyja, how are the other shipbuilders supposed to enjoy your day off if you go to work anyway?” She smiles up at her sister, then nods when she suggests going to the beach. She immediately brightens at the thought.

”Swimming sounds fun. It will be cold, though.” Tora shrugs this off, grinning with the excitement only the young can muster, and makes sure she grabs two cloaks from the pegs beside the door. She folds them over her arm and looks expectantly at her big sister. ”I’m glad you stayed home today. It gets boring here without you.” And by boring, of course she meant loud. A house with five daughters is never, in fact, boring.
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 am

Freyja grew more and more excited at the idea of spending the day with Tóra as she gathered their supplies. While Rúna might take after Freyja the most, with her honest, outgoing personality and love of fighting, Tóra and Freyja’s shared love of the ocean, and Tóra’s shy, sweet personality made her youngest sister the one she probably got along with the best. Though it was hard not to get along with Tóra, if she were being honest.

She couldn’t help but laugh at the fifteen year old’s question. “‘Enjoy my day off’? Are you trying to say they don’t like me?” She replied, feigning shock and outrage.

Oh, that’s true,” she answered when Tóra mentioned how cold it would be. Freyja was usually used to it; Working down by the water always got a bit harder as winter drew closer. But while she didn’t mind the cold too much, obviously her sister wouldn’t have the same experience. “Good thinking,” she added when the blonde tucked two cloaks for them over her arm.

Freyja didn’t even try to suppress the grin that appeared on her face when Tóra told her she was glad she’d taken the day off. While she knew her sisters were fond of her, it was still a nice thing to hear. “Me too,” she told her, nudging Tóra’s shoulder with her own, before grabbing the basket and leading the way out of the house.

Boring?” She repeated, looking at her sister as if she’d lost her mind. “Is that just because you’re home by yourself a lot? You’re always welcome to come visit me. As long as you don’t mind getting wet, or the sunburns, or the smell of fish…” Freyja didn’t exactly have the most glamorous of professions, even if it was considered one of the more respectable options in Skagen.
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptyTue Nov 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Tóra giggles at her sister's outraged expression. That's exactly what she was implying, and Freyja knew it, and her giggling was confirmation enough. She was excited to get out of the house, though. Most of her days were spent wandering around Skagen, visiting her sisters and mother, making friends, and trying to decide what career she would choose. Unlike some of her older sisters--Sofie mostly--Tóra isn't overly concerned with finding a man right now. She's only fifteen, and while that's certainly old enough to be courted, she doesn't feel ready yet. Most of her days she spends with other girls her own age, gossiping and wandering around the village and its surroundings. It's a nice life she leads, and she knows that it's in large part thanks to Freyja that she can spend her days so peacefully. If her sister had pursued her own dreams and become a shield maiden rather than a shipbuilder, which was a far steadier income, who knows where she and her sisters might be now? She's certainly appreciative of Freyja's sacrifice, and that's part of why she's been thinking she might bring up apprenticing to Freyja during their walk along the shore.

She laughs when Freyja says she's always welcome to come visit, then shuffles her feet lightly through the dirt on the street before she looks up at her sister. Her blue eyes are wide and earnest when she speaks. "I've come to visit you plenty of times." She points out before continuing. "I've been thinking, though. I'll be old enough to work soon and I want to try shipbuilding. Just to see if I like it. If you don't mind." She trails off, cheeks reddening slightly in embarrassment as she walks beside her sister. She knows shipbuilding isn't an easy craft. It's physically demanding work requiring a great deal of strength, stamina, and skill. Her sister has all of those, but Tóra isn't sure she possesses the necessary traits. There's only one way to find out, though, and that's to try. She isn't afraid of trying, not if Freyja is willing to teach her, and she isn't afraid of failing because she knows Freyja won't laugh at her like one of her other sisters might. Visna would certainly make fun of her if she turned out to be a terrible dressmaker, and their mother would be so disappointed.

But shipbuilding had been their father's craft, and he'd passed it on to Freyja. Maybe Freyja could pass it on to her, and in that way she would have something more than simple memories of her father. She would have a skill, a way to make a living, and a respectable craft. It certainly seemed worth it to her to try it. She looks back up to Freyja as they reach the beach, kicking her shoes off and scooping them up to walk barefoot through the cool sand.
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 am

It was impossible to even pretend to be mad when Tóra was giggling, and Freyja quickly joined her sister, laughing and shaking her head. “They don’t have to like me, they just have to do what I tell them,” she replied with a wink. She’d found almost as soon as she’d taken over for her father that she far preferred being the one bossing people around than the one taking orders. A few people hadn’t liked the idea of her taking over for him at first, but Freyja was pretty good at getting people to like her when it came to things like that. She was hardworking, she didn’t complain, she didn’t ask anyone to do anything she wouldn’t do herself. They’d come around quickly. “And they like me just fine,” she added, sticking her tongue out at the younger woman.

Tóra said she’d visited her plenty and Freyja nodded in agreement. That was true enough. But it was what the fifteen year old said next that had Freyja pausing and turning in her direction. “But… why?” There were far easier jobs that Tóra could pursue. “I mean, if you’re really interested, I’ll teach you. But it’s not… fun?” She didn’t want to insult her sister by assuming the teenager was only interested in a job she thought would be fun and easy, but Freyja just knew she would never have chosen this without a good reason, and Tóra didn’t have any reason to want to be a shipbuilder. At least, none that Freyja was aware of.

She had already taken on one apprentice recently, but she wouldn’t mind an extra pair of hands down at the docks. She wasn’t really sure how to delicately ask if Tóra would be physically strong enough to do the work, and considered teaching her to carve first. People might think she was going easy on her since she was her little sister but those people could go fuck themselves.

They finally reached the beach and Freyja’s shoes were off almost as quickly as Tóra’s. She loved the feel of the sand under her feet, and the sun on her skin. Freyja dropped the things she’d been carrying in the sand a fair distance away, and headed for the edge of the water, wanting to splash in the waves a bit, no matter how cold the water might be. Looking at her sister, she grinned and shrugged her shoulders. “It might be a little too cold to go for a swim.” She’d been so excited at the idea of a day off and heading to the beach, she hadn’t really considered the temperature. But that didn’t mean they couldn’t still enjoy themselves.
Back to top Go down

Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Tóra Stafnsdóttir
Villager

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptyFri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Tora rolls her eyes at Freyja's statement, giving her sister a slightly pointed look. "So no different from being at home with us, then?" She can't help the grin that breaks her serious face. Freyja just likes to be in control, and Tóra, unlike Sofie and Visna, has no problems with following her sister's instructions. Tora much preferred to go with the flow. She laughs when Freyja sticks her tongue out and says they like her just fine anyway. "Of course they like you, who wouldn't? Oh." She shoots her sister a grimace before speaking again. "Sofie wants me to ask you. What's going on between you and the blacksmith? Hakon? You don't have to tell me, but at least this way I can tell her I asked you and maybe she won't make me help her catch bugs again."

She looks up, shrugging, when Freyja asks her why she's considering being a shipbuilder. She sighs before answering. "Well, I don't think I would be a good dressmaker, and Visna will probably laugh at me if I'm not because she's so good at it. And I don't think I would be any good at fighting and besides I don't want to. I thought about becoming a healer, but I don't know anyone who could teach me. At least with shipbuilding I would have someone to teach me." She looks down at her feet as she continues. "And it's something you learned from Father, so...." She trails off, shrugging again, and kicks off her shoes to feel the cool sand beneath her feet.

"Too cold for a swim but not too cold for a walk!" Tóra answers, sprinting for the edge of the sea. She hikes her dress up around her knees and splashes happily into the incoming waves, grinning over at her sister as she kicks a spray of cold water in her direction.
Back to top Go down

Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Freyja Stafnsdóttir
Shipbuilder

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm

She laughed out loud again at Tóra and shook her head. “When did you get so funny? I guess you’re more like me than I realized. And also no, you lot do have to like me.” She was thoroughly enjoying this time with her sister, even with the sass and eye rolling, until the little traitor brought up Sofie and Hakon.

Listening to what Tóra had to say about about Sofie, she raised an eyebrow when she got to the bugs part. “Why do you let her make you catch bugs if you don’t want to?” Freyja knew Tóra occasionally helped Sofie with her pranks but had assumed it was because she wanted to. Was that not what was happening?

And you can tell Sofie that I said to knock it off about Hakon. One of these days I’m going to head down to the training field and kick her ass if she doesn’t cut it out.” Freyja was confident she still could if she needed to. The thought of it even made her smile a bit.

Fortunately, they moved on, to talking about Tóra and shipbuilding again. What her sister was saying made sense, and though she was also surprised to hear Tóra had considered becoming a healer, and thought that may fit her better, she wasn’t going discourage the shipbuilding idea either. Freyja smiled at Tóra and nodded. “I’ll teach you. Though, I don’t think it would hurt if we tried to find someone to teach you to be a healer as well. I’ll start asking around.” There had to be someone in the village who knew a healer, right? Maybe Haskell would know.

Walking through wet sand, as the tide rolled in around their feet, Freyja saw her sister laughing and splashing around and grinned at her excitement. Until she noticed her pulling her leg back, and realized what was coming. “Tóra, don’t!” But it was too late, and after the water splashed over her legs, Freyja rested her hands on her hips and raised an eyebrow. “That’s how you wanna be, huh?” And then took a couple steps closer to the blonde and kicked up a wave towards her in return. They were going to be very cold by the time they got home, she was sure of it.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

PostSubject: Re: Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra] Empty

Back to top Go down
Hear the ocean’s roar [Tóra]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1